Monday, September 12, 2011

I feel I've come home...

Oh my... We've arrived in Switzerland.

Ever since I was a wee lass I knew of my Suisse heritage. My dad's dad ventured to the states from a small town in Switzerland called Sonvilier. He was a watchmaker and a skier (so as a lover of the mountains, he settled in Colorado as it reminded him of his home). We had various Swiss items on display in our living room: little hats, decorative wooden plates and cowbells, which I would lovingly play with as a kid. I knew one day I would go to that place and see it for myself. Today's that day!

YouTube Video

I've been absolutely in awe so far. Really, it's breathtaking.

We are staying with family friends the Grossenbachers who are delightful, and have been so very kind and taken us right in. They fed us wine and raclette tonight, which I'd never had before. My friend Sara raved about it in the past and I now see why. It's a special kind of cheese, melted under a lamp. The melted top layer is then scraped off and eaten with potatoes and any other treats you like such as sun dried tomatoes, cornichons, etc. Ah. So good:


3rd helpings...


Hearts.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Rue du Soleil,Saint-Imier,Switzerland

1 comment:

  1. YES! My family went to Switzerland when I was 10. We stayed in Interlocken at the base of the Jungfrau...it was magical... I felt like frickin Maria Von Trapp. Swiss living is fabulous, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete